Date:      Sun, 28 Nov 2004 20:55:00 +1030
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Cc:        Ed Schouten <ed@il.fontys.nl>
Subject:   Re: Getting devfs to recognize a hotplugged fd0

--nextPart1561447.tqgpDCc7X8

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 05:52, Ed Schouten wrote:
> Hello Patrick,
>
> Patrick Bowen wrote:
> > I'm trying to learn how to get devfs to create an fd0 enty in /dev
> > automatically when I plug a floppy drive into the serial port of a
> > running Dell D600 laptop running 6.0 current.
>
> Are you sure that's possible at all? You know the serial port isn't
> plug-and-play? How can the operating system tell that there is something =
on
> the serial port at all? :)

I would guess he means USB when he says serial.

I imagine the floppy drive appears as da0 in -current. Perhaps it worked as=
=20
fd0 in 4.x with heavy (HEAVY) BIOS magic..

Also he could be parallel when he says serial...

Patrik - how many pins does the port in question have? What model laptop is=
=20
it?

=2D-=20
are so many of them to choose from."