Date:      Wed, 5 Jun 2002 06:17:54 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ross Lippert <ripper@eskimo.com>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   man refs, deCSS disclaimer, merging with sound chapter

In the video playback chapter I am producing I still need some advice on

1) man refs
Currently the only manrefs I'm making are XFree86 4.X, which is a
port, so from what I can tell, if I just put an entity in the
share/sgml/man-refs.ent the build will fail on system where the port
isn't installed.  I could remove them, I guess.  If I get no feedback
on this, I will.

2) deCSS disclaimer
Currently I footnote the use of the WITH_DVD option in building
mplayer, which causes it to build mplayer with deCSS support.  I'm in
the US, where the legality of using such a binary is dubious.  Other
webpages on video I have seen opt for various disclaimers about this
so as not to get shut down.  I'd certainly not want a nasty letter to
arrive at freebsd.org demanding that the online-handbook be taken
down.  If I get no feedback on this I will remove the empty footnote
and not worry about it.

3) sound chapter
The current sound chapter contains four sections on setting up sound
and getting various applications to work.  If we go with the original
wording of the PR, then I should change this to a chapter on
multimedia (which involves changing a directory-name within the CVS
archive -- something I always thought was best done with care to
ensure proper tracking), merging the video playback chapter I have
into it such that sound becomes one section and video playback becomes
another (which various promotions of sect{n}'s to sect{n+1}'s and
perhaps some minor reworking of other peoples "territory"), and
finally a PR perhaps left open for video capture (which I think is
fillable if one has the right toys).  A meta-synopsis needs to be made
for the resulting multimedia chapter.  Given the messiness of merging,
and of ensuring good tracking by CVS, I'm ambivalent about which way
this one should go: add or merge.

-r