Date:      Wed, 05 Aug 1998 08:02:33 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>, Randy Philipp <cphilipp@pop500.gsfc.nasa.gov>, Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>, Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG, "Jeroen van den Boom" <jeroen@ctxnl.com>
Subject:   Re: Neomagic chipset - is it a hardware problem ?

[Jeroen van den Boom from CTX cc'd - this may interest you!]
[Greg cc'd - there's a question/request near the end... :-)]

It looks like you're at least partially correct Mike.  I've done some
more tests with heating up, cooling down, restarting X, restarting
FreeBSD, suspend & resume and LCD off & on....

It seems that the screen corruption is due to a combination of the X
server initialisation (*not* doing something it should) and the heat
of the machine.  If I start X and let the machine heat up, or start
X when the machine is already hot, I get the flickering.

Once it's flickering, the display can be made crystal clear again by
either suspending 'till the machine cools down (as I said before) or
by simply switching the LCD off and on (there's a small switch for
detecting when the lid is down that switches the LCD off by default
and can be configured to make the laptop ``sleep'').  If I ``sleep
'till cool'', the problem re-occurs as the machine heats up again.

I can only guess that the sleep/resume is being caught by the power
management stuff and X is re-initialising (wrongly) the display
whereas the LCD off/on event is completely transparent and the laptop
firmware knows how to make the screen work when hot..... once this
`tweak' has happened, the display is fine forever more - up until it
goes into text mode and back into graphics mode (ala X server).

This is *very* peculiar, but I think it's now looking more like a
software thing.  I'll continue to test things.... I'm now running
KDE 1.0 (window manager) and am using a screensaver - maybe this is
relevant. I *do* wish NeoMagic would just publish the damn specs :-(

The other ``weird'' thing is that nobody else seems to have reported
this problem, although I guess there aren't that many that have gone
to the trouble of manually merging the initialisation code, and even
fewer (if any) that have a CTX Cybernote.  Greg, as you've got a
similar setup (although I doubt your machine is a CTX Cybernote), can
you try doing a ``make world'' and see if you get similar behaviour,
making sure that you *haven't* let the laptops LCD initialise itself
(X should be the last thing to have set up the display from text
mode) ?  It would be much appreciated.

Thanks everyone for your help.

      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;