Date:      Fri, 9 Jan 1998 11:02:18 +0100 (CET)
From:      Andrzej Bialecki <abial@nask.pl>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD on one floppy... sure.

Hi!

During past few days I was fighting with my new machine, which forced me
into make'ing release several times, in order to prepare custom
installation floppy.  Well, after a dozen of times I may say I got used to
it, and then started thinking about preparing a one-floppy fully
functional (well, almost :-)  system.

So, after a sleepless night I now have a floppy, which boots cut down
GENERIC kernel (only the most popular drivers) and also contains ca. 60
utilities, among them ppp, ftp, telnet, ssh (I know, it's not BSD license,
but I needed it :-), basic filesystem utilities (disklabel, newfs, cp, mv,
rm, mkdir, mount_*), ee to edit config files, tar, gzip, route & ifconfig
(to use ethernet interfaces) and quite a bunch of others. BTW, it runs
multiuser, and you also have getty's on several vtys...

There are some drawbacks to it, though: I was short of space to put passwd
on it, so there are only predefined passwords. If you have any idea how to
force login (i.e. libc) NOT to use hashed db files (which are monstruous -
over 80kB), I'll be very thankful. I'd rather not use mfs, because it
raises the memory footprint - this version would run quite well on machine
with 5MB RAM. The second disadvantage is that kernel is kzip'ped and I
cannot dset the changes from userconfig... pity :-(

It seems useful anyway, doesn't it? If there's any interest in it, I can
put it somewhere. As for now, the whole documentation and setup is Polish,
but given some time and enough interest I can prepare also English one...

Let me know, what you think. Maybe it's just stupid idea...

Andrzej Bialecki

abial@warman.org.pl  | if(halt_per_mth > 0) { fetch("http://www.freebsd.org") }
Research & Academic  | "Be open-minded, but don't let your brains to fall out."
Network in Poland    | All of the above (and more) is just my personal opinion.