Date:      Thu, 4 Mar 1999 15:40:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      Bill Fenner <fenner@parc.xerox.com>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: bin/10344: Core dump in gethostbyaddr for 199.93.70.2

The following reply was made to PR bin/10344; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Bill Fenner <fenner@parc.xerox.com>
To: Michael Fuhr <mfuhr@dimensional.com>
Cc: Bill Fenner <fenner@parc.xerox.com>,
	freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 15:39:35 PST

 In message <19990302041744.B29139@flatland.dimensional.com>you write:
 >After adding a check for loops in the DNS name compression mechanism,
 >I discovered that the first record in the answer section has a loop:

 I've been trying this lately and just get SERVFAIL's from shields.burlee.com.
 There's still a problem with the C resolver (which John appears to
 have tracked down to a compiler bug), as pointing Net::DNS at one
 of the other name servers (nic3.barrnet.net or nic.near.net)
 successfully returns 817 records but "dig" still croaks.

 So, I think there are 2 issues:
 1. shields.burlee.com is confused, returning either SERVFAIL (my experience)
    or misformatted records (Michael's experience)
 2. The C resolver can't handle this answer if compiled with -O.

   Bill