Date:      Fri, 14 Feb 1997 14:00:17 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Daniel M. Eischen" <deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org>
To:        jc@irbs.com, jgreco@solaria.sol.net
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org, rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com
Subject:   Re: SMC Dual channel Ethernet

> > Here's a note I have from Rod Grimes concerning these cards, YMMV.
> > WARNING!!!  The SMC8434 requieres a motherboard that routes both
> > PCI INT A and B to the slot, very few if any PCI 2.x compliant
> > boards do this.  Nothing from ASUS can run this card, infact about
> > the only thing I have found that can run this card is old PCI 1.x
> > boards with jumpers to manually route the interrupts.
>
> I don't know what this is all about....  ALL my boards are ASUS, and a
> number were purchased from Rod.
>
> Oh, wait, these are the SMC9334BDT's.  I see, Rod is talking about the
> 10Mbps-only cards.  Mental note: don't get 10baseT only cards when you
> can get 10/100 cards for around $210...
>
> I am running single SMC9334's in three ASUS P/E-P55T2P4D boards, a single
> SMC9334 in an ASUS P/I-P55T2P4, and two SMC9334's and a Kingston 10/100 in
> another ASUS P/I-P55T2P4.  I think I dropped one in an ASUS SP3G and it
> worked, but I am not positive.  If anyone wants to know, I can find out
> for sure.  I have seen zero instances of problems with this card and ASUS
> boards, although I do not think I have exceeded qty. 2 in any particular
> machine.

I think I'll order one of the 9334s, and get another (single) combo
adapter.  The problem is that our connection to outside our subnet
(actually we will have at least 2 internal subnets), is thick net
right now - but that may change sometime in the future.  So for now,
the easiest thing to do is to get a thicknet capable adapter.  We
already have one 10/100 single channel in the machine, but I thought
I'd replace it with the Dual channel which gives us a spare adapter :)

Joe, if you've got any opinions on Fast hubs, I'd appreciate
a little advice (off the list).

Thanks everyone!

Dan Eischen
deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org