Date:      Tue, 25 Feb 1997 09:02:24 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Eric J. Schwertfeger" <ejs@bfd.com>
To:        "Vnotchenko S.S." <sergey@extech.msk.su>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: [H] Optimal computer for FreeBSD

On Tue, 25 Feb 1997, Vnotchenko S.S. wrote:

> Hi, all!
> My friends and I planing to use 2.1.7R-FreeBSD as main server
> (DNS,Web,INND,FTP) for ours ISP network.
> We want use something like this: PCI, Pentium-PRO ATX CPU, 64 Mb EDO RAM,
> 2x4.5 Gb SCSI,
> 8x SCSI CD-ROM, 10Mbit Ethernet. Please, recommend us hardware (firm,
> model) known as best
> (reliable, fast) working under 2.1.7R-FreeBSD (PCI devices if possible).

I'm sure others will recommend 4x2Gb scsi instead.  My personal
recomendation would be an AHA2940UW, with 2Gb ultrawide drives (IBM makes
some good, and suprizingly inexpensive drives in this category).

For 10MBit ethernet, I'd recommend something based on the DEC 21041AC.
They're fast (only dropped 10 packets out of a million packet flood ping,
FTP rages >1MB/Sec), cheap (found mine for $35), and work well with the de
driver.

Video depends on what you want to use the computer for.  If it's an X
workstation, look for one of the good accellerated chipsets.  Stay away
from the S3 Virge chipset if you want to use truecolor (for java, etc),
because the XFree Virge drivers are still under development.  If this is
only going to be a server sitting at the console most of the time, Just
about anything will work well.