Date:      Wed, 10 Sep 1997 18:40:38 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@CS.Duke.EDU>
To:        Søren Schmidt <sos@sos.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith), jkh@time.cdrom.com, emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Net posting: SCO gets Linux emulation

Søren Schmidt writes:
 > > > Could be interesting and/or instructional, yes?
 > >
 > > Moderately.  It's somewhat barer-bones than our support so far.
 >
 > It of virtually no use to us. I've looked closer, and there is
 > ALOT they have to learn :)
 >
 > > This is all pretty unscientific; without sitting down and doing a
 > > one-to-one comparison it's a bit difficult to convey the relative
 > > "feel" of the two emulations.
 >
 > I'd say thiers is a "just get hello world running" type of emulator...

Well, its somewhat interesting because it runs entirely in userland
and traps system calls via a SEGV handler.  And because of this, I
imagine that its a good bit slower.  Also, their '$LINUX_ROOT' path
remapping is interesting if only for its flexibility, but their choice
of what paths to remap is very haphazard compared with the {Free,Net}BSD
approach.

BTW -- should anybody care, I just ported it to Solaris/x86 (which I'm
forced to deal with at work).  I'd be happy to give out the diffs.
It runs Adobe Acrobat just fine (well, after installing the FreeBSD
linux-libs pkg ;-)

Cheers,

Drew