Date:      Fri, 06 Jul 2001 23:38:03 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Rich Morin <rdm@cfcl.com>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD spokesman.

At 05:12 PM 7/6/2001, Rich Morin wrote:

>Brett Glass, quite obviously, has very strong opinions on Stallman and
>the GPL.  He is welcome to promote his positions in any forum that will
>accept him.

Thank you. And, no, you're not obliged to listen if the conversation
gets dull or repetitive. I realize that it does at times. Part of
advocacy, alas, is repeating oneself more than one would like.

>OTOH, I have NO interest in having Brett act as any sort of "official"
>spokesperson for FreeBSD in particular or BSD in general.

I certainly wouldn't want to be a sole spokesman. But I think that
it is important that someone champion the BSD philosophy and voice
the many ethical and practical arguments against the GPL. I could
certainly play that role.

>Any "official" spokesman for FreeBSD needs to have a "centrist" position
>on most issues,

Actually, the idea that the GPL is destructive, and that the BSD License
is superior, *is* a centrist position. The extremes are the GPL and
Microsoft. The BSD philosophy lies between these two extremes, both of
which are destructive.

>a tolerance for diversity, the ability to compromise on
>occasion, and strong technical credentials (e.g., as a committer or some
>other form of substantial contributor to FreeBSD).

I believe that I have all of these except the status of a committer. (It's
probably better that I *not* be a committer, since I do not at all like the
C language and prefer to program in just about anything else!) There
is really only one area in which I strongly believe that there is no room
for compromise: ethics. The GPL is unethical, IMHO, in that it's
discriminatory and destructive. It is also counter to the BSD philosophy.
It is important that we be as uncompromising on this point as the GPL
zealots are on the other side. YMMV, of course.

>FWIW, my own position is that long-term FreeBSD's strengths lie in its
>commitment to good engineering, "best practice", etc.

This is certainly one of FreeBSD's strongest points. (But, of course,
Linux fans will claim the same for THEIR preferred OS.) I would
argue that the true distinction lies deeper -- in philosophy.

--Brett