Date:      Thu, 2 Jun 2005 13:49:00 -0400
From:      Brian Clapper <brian-freebsd-009@clapper.org>
To:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 4.11, native JDK1.5, SIGBUS, zip

On 2 June, 2005, at 06:37 (-0700)
Vizion <vizion@vizion.occoxmail.com> wrote:

> Everyone appreciates Alexey's many warm-hearted contributions to advancing
> FreeBsd for all comers.
>
> <chuckles> - you have to laugh when people provoke flames - you will go the
> way you need to go and I wish you all the best. I am sorry that letting you
> know how much I appreciated the the results of upgrading has had such an
> impact upon you. If I had known in advance that you would have responded so
> beligerantly to  my original short one liner I would have kept quiet.
>
> Whilst it is not unreasonable to conclude that some of the difficulties with
> the JDK is another good reason for upgrading on top of all the additional
> features of 5.x., I would agree that how much additional weight it adds to
> that initiative must be a matter of individual need and taste.
>
> If you wish to aggressively define that conclusion about upgrading as
> 'ill-informed "opinions"' then who am I to object - after all  you are free
> to express your contrary opinions, and make your own choice about the degree
> of politeness and warmth applicable to that expression.
>

> david

Please try to avoid interpreting this message as a flame. It's not intended
as such. That said...

It's excellent that upgrading FreeBSD has worked so well for you.
(Seriously.) Unfortunately, that's not always possible or practical for
everyone. For instance, I'm currently running 4.11, for various reasons I
won't bore you with. While I eventually plan to upgrade to 5.x, doing so
simply isn't an option for me at the moment, either.

Though I'm sure you meant no offense, suggesting that George Cox upgrade
the entire operating system to fix a Java-related problem is not exactly
the most helpful of responses. It may be that upgrading the operating
system is, in fact, the only thing that will fix his problem. But it's a
sledgehammer solution, and hardly the one that most people wish to
undertake as the first recourse--especially when it's not at all clear
whether the problem is related to the operating system or the current alpha
nature of the native 1.5 JDK.

Brian Clapper, http://www.clapper.org/bmc/
Remember, there's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over.
        -- Frank Zappa