Date:      Sun, 30 Jan 2000 15:02:44 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@hub.freebsd.org>, Ataualpa Albert Carmo Braga <atabraga@iqm.unicamp.br>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: JFS

Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group wrote:

> 4.4BSD has something like JFS, LFS (Log Structured Filesystem).  LFS
> developed from a paper by John Ousterhout, the same fellow who
> developed Tcl & Tk.  All other log structured filesystems, JFS, AdvFS,
> Veritas Filesystem, are based on Ousterhout's work.

A journalled structured filesystem is NOT a log structured filesystem.

> Due to the lack of interest, FreeBSD's LFS has fallen into disrepair
> over the years.  With the implementation of softupdates in FreeBSD I
> don't think there is any need for LFS any more.

Repeat that over and over the next time you wait fsck finish a 40 Gb
filesystem checkup, and see if you manage to convince yourself of that.

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

	"If you consider our help impolite, you should see the manager."