Date:      Sun, 7 Sep 1997 11:16:09 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        lvirden@cas.org
Cc:        www@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help sought on using freebsd.org search facility

On Sun, 7 Sep 1997 lvirden@cas.org wrote:

> The ultimate goal is for me to be able to determine what applications
> and libraries currently distributed for FreeBSD use Tcl or Tk in some
> fashion, as well as somehow monitoring updates and new entries.

The ports INDEX files
(ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports-current/INDEX) contains
exactly what you need.  Each port is represented by a line,
fields are delimited by colons (:).  I don't recall exactly which
field it is, but there is a field that lists port dependencies
and you just need to check if tcl and/or tk are listed in that
field.  A small perl script would do the job.

Keep in mind that the INDEX file on the ftp site is not updated
very often, but if you have a copy of the whole ports collection,
you can generate an up-to-date version by typing `make index' in
the root directory of the ports tree.  (At least I think that is
the correct target...)

-john