Date:      Thu, 25 May 2000 21:11:04 +0100 (BST)
From:      Duncan Barclay <dmlb@ragnet.demon.co.uk>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, Duane H.Hesser <dhh@androcles.com>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD kernel as a replacement for Linux kernel

On 25-May-00 Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
>> Anyone remember the old Pyramid OSX 'universe' command?
>
> Yes, I do.  It was very evil. :)
>
> The way Apollo solved this problem was much more elegant and general
> purpose and one of my favorite soapbox topics: Variant symlinks.

Gosh is that the time...must be going soon...

[snip]

> Of course, every time we've had this discussion in the past, people
> usually jump in and say that the environment variable space is
> insufficiently powerful for this and what we really need is something
> more like VMS logical names where you can have system-wide, group-wide
> and user-specific variables which then are applied to the variant
> symlink expansion.
>
> At that point, everyone generally agrees that it's too hard to do and
> we should put off the entire concept for another couple of years. :)

I have in my archives some code from the "person" who usually brings up
the logical name stuff (the code implements them).

However, there is also this snippet:

        PS: if you need the changes to namei() for variant symbolic links,
        ask me nicely, and I will disentangle them from my other changes
        to namei() for layering fixes, Unicode, and alternate namespace
        support (used by a modified (CIFS enhanced) Samba server which
        needs to have the DOS short name remain constant across directory
        searches).

So who wants to ask him for them?

> - Jordan

Duncan, with tongue firmly in left cheek.

---