Date:      Wed, 31 May 2000 01:45:33 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@hub.freebsd.org>
To:        Andy Farkas <andyf@speednet.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, imp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GENERIC 4.0 kernel compile fails on in_cksum.c

On Wed, 31 May 2000, Andy Farkas wrote:

>   To update from 3.x to 4.0 stable
>   --------------------------------
>   <see notes below>                 [3]

Hmm. I think this is a mistake. Updating from anything other than 3.4 to
4.0-R is going to be a windy path fraught with landmines because we just
can't keep testing every possible upgrade scenario, and people are going
to lose limbs by following instructions which no longer work.

AFAIK, we've never claimed to support upgrades to major (.0) releases from
anything other than the most recent previous release, and with good
reason. We have an upgrade path which is well tested and works, so let's
just leave it at that.

Kris

----