Date:      Sun, 9 Jun 1996 23:26:16 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brian Tao <taob@io.org>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: setuid root sendmail vs. mode 1733 /var/spool/mqueue?

On Sun, 9 Jun 1996, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:

> Denial of service attack:
> cat /dev/zero >/var/spool/mqueue/onebigwhole bs=32b
>
> world writable directories are a bigger problem, IMHO, than a suid
> sendmail.

    True enough, but since /tmp already puts the server in that
position, I'm not overly worried about someone pulling this kind of
stunt.  At least the file will have their username stamped on it.  :)
OTOH, a more creative user could write a script that fills the
directory with symlinks, exhaust all the inodes *and* not leave behind
any telltale pointers to his identity.  :(
--
Brian Tao (BT300, taob@io.org, taob@ican.net)
Systems and Network Administrator, Internet Canada Corp.