Date:      Thu, 23 Jul 1998 08:40:15 -0400
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Gerald Ehritz <ehritz@dbai.tuwien.ac.at>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pine 3.96 locks 3.0-980621 completely

Gerald Ehritz wrote in message ID
<199807231047.MAA07977@arcturus.dbai.tuwien.ac.at>:
> Hi all,
>
> We use a 3.0-980621 and discovered soem days ago, that writing out an attachm
> ent ( > 100k) to a file locks up the machine completely. No login possible an
> d also no log to screen or file.
> Except this pine works fine.
>
> PC: Pentium , 32 MB Mem; Mail dir NSF mounted

I know this isn't what you wanted to hear, but that is just *asking* for
problems, especially if you are using default mailbox format, because there is
probably inadquate locking going on, and you may truncate the mailbox not
realizing that sendmail just delivered new mail (not to mention other nasties)

Since you are using Pine, try IMAP or POP. Works *much* better, and I bet the
machine will stop crashing also :)

Gary