Date:      Mon, 18 Jun 2001 02:28:05 -0400
From:      raviprasad20@netscape.net
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Prefixes for an interface

Hi,
Prefixes are given on a perinterface basis. I found that the router
itself forms an address with the prefix given. I have the following
doubts.
a) Can we disable router from forming addresses with prefixes that
 are given to it? I feel that prefixes are given to an interface by
 router so that it is advertised to the connected hosts. Iam confused
with why the router itself has to form an address with the prefix
that it advertises?

b) Can a router advertise a global unicast address prefix (say of
length 120 bits) to the hosts? the RFC mentions that the prefix length should be in between 4 & 127 bits. But it does not mention about the
length in case of global unicast address prefix?

Kindly reply.
regards
ravi prasad