Date:      Mon, 28 Feb 2000 08:07:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      Bhishan Hemrajani <bhishan@cytosine.dhs.org>
To:        fuzz zzuf <fuzz_zzuf@excite.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: partition resizing question

Nope.. you always need to back up. The reason for this is that FreeBSD
won't let you remove the label of the drive, but must remove the whole
partition for the drive, put in a new partition, and re-create your
labels.

If you have two hard drives, maybe.
I recently re-sized my swap and /var because they were on the same
drive, and I could back them up on my main /usr drive.

Re-sizing /usr is almost impossible unless you have a backup.

But, you can just backup /usr/home and re-install FreeBSD.

--bhishan