Date:      Fri, 18 Jan 2002 08:05:01 -0600
From:      "Erik Meade" <emeade@geekfarm.org>
To:        <doc@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   9.3 Building and Installing a Custom Kernel

Thanks for the great work on the docs, the past few years I have been using
RedHat, and it is a nice surprise
to be able to go to one document for most of my needs.

I did find one discrepancy recently while rebuilding my 4.4 STABLE kernel.
According to:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/kernelconfig-build
ing.html

Note: If there is not a /usr/src/sys directory on your system, then the
kernel source has not been installed. The easiest way to do this is by
running /stand/sysinstall as root, choosing Configure, then Distributions,
then src, then sys. If you have an aversion to sysinstall and you have
access to an ``official'' FreeBSD CDROM, then you can also install the
source from the command line :

I found I also had to make sure to sysinstall Configure -> Distributions ->
src -> sys -> base, otherwise make
doesn't know how to buildkernel.  I still ended up with an error that I
resolved by just installing all of the
src.

Sincerely,
Erik Meade