Date:      Fri, 29 Mar 2019 12:12:12 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        mayuresh@kathe.in
Cc:        Andrea Venturoli <ml@netfence.it>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, owner-freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why is Sendmail still around?

On Fri, 29 Mar 2019 16:06:36 +0530, Mayuresh Kathe wrote:
> On 2019-03-29 01:52 PM, Andrea Venturoli wrote:
> > On 3/29/19 2:59 AM, Mayuresh Kathe wrote:
> >> easier to configure for simple tasks than Sendmail.
> >
> > Just out of curiosity, what do you find so hard in configuring
> > sendmail *for simple tasks*?
> > (I agree it's somewhat confusing sometimes when it comes to complex
> > edge-cases).
>
> All I want to do is route my locally typed mail (using mailx and ed)
> through my mail provider's SMTP server.

Does the mail provider have a mail relay you can use?
In that case, the setting

	define(`SMART_HOST', `mx.example.com')

in your mail configuration, followed by a rebuild and
restart (see /etc/mail/Makefile's comment header) should
be sufficient.

This method does not require you to interact with any
external SMTP server.

> Till date, I have been unable to even figure out how to do that, leave
> alone actually succeeding at doing it.

If you know an easy way to do the same as above, but with SMTP,
let me know. Since my provider stopped offering the mail relay,
I had to put the SMTP details into my GUI MUA's configuration
and now have to wait for the annoying progress bar instead of
the previously possible "click and forget", and I currently
do not have my own _real_ mail server... ;-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany