Date:      Fri, 20 Jul 2012 17:01:09 +0700
From:      Erich Dollansky <erichfreebsdlist@ovitrap.com>
To:        Matthias Apitz <guru@unixarea.de>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, Lars Engels <lars.engels@0x20.net>
Subject:   Re: Script to monitor battery status on X220

Hi,

On Friday 20 July 2012 16:13:56 Matthias Apitz wrote:
> El d=EDa Friday, July 20, 2012 a las 03:45:23PM +0700, Erich Dollansky es=
cribi=F3:
>=20
> > > ...=20
> > > Is it necessary to poll? Usually devd generates an event when the
> > > battery status and/or percentage changes. Just read the events from
> > > /var/run/devd.pipe.
> > >=20
> > this is a good idea. I did not like this solution either but did not ge=
t a better idea when I did it.
>=20
> I wrote and used something similar for my netbook EeePC 900; it turned
> out that the battery is not showing the remaining capacity in a linear

this is also true on the X220.

> way; the last 5% are 'consumed' in a few seconds, i.e. below 20% I
> polled every 2 seconds;

I did some tests until I ended at the 2%. There was always enough energy le=
ft in the battery to restart the machine.

I wonder anyway how they do it. I developed battery monitors a long time ag=
o. As the voltage drop is not linear and the tolerances are very high. They=
 might calibrate each battery when it reaches certain levels.

Erich