Date:      Sat, 4 Jan 2003 22:17:51 -0500
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: On GCC

Brett Glass wrote:
> The other problem, from my standpoint, is that it's C.

Oh great.  So not only do we need to write a new compiler for FreeBSD,
we also need to rewrite the whole system in Modula-3 or whatever.

Of course, it's still not you who's going to volunteer for that job,
is it, Brett?

> The OpenBSD camp (or at least Theo) hasn't been receptive when
> I've suggested "un-GNUing" their toolchain in the past.

So who *has* been receptive?  As in, which actual contributor to one of
these projects?

You know what?  You don't *need* to get any of these camps interested.
All these projects have immense amounts of BSD licensed code already
out there, and you can simply pick it up and do what you like with it.
If you want to replace all GPL code, you're free to fork and do that.
You don't need to ask anyone's permission.  Theo didn't, when he
started OpenBSD.

- Rahul