Date:      Thu, 5 Sep 1996 11:23:58 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it (Luigi Rizzo)
Cc:        p.richards@elsevier.co.uk, kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de, freebsd-hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: acrobat .pdf files

> > > Is there a chance to view .PDF files under FreeBSD?
> >
> > Newer versions of ghostscript understand pdf.
>
> but xpdf is smaller and nicer to use.

Neither one handle Adobe's "encryption" of PDF.  It's silly to use
the feature, since the only thing it does is force you to use Adobe
viewers (the "encryption" prevents the use of non-Adobe viewers,
but does not enhance document security because it does not prevent
viewing with an Adobe viewer -- ie: it does not require a password
or other user query).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---