Date:      Thu, 30 Nov 2000 12:55:38 -0600
From:      "Chuck Rock" <carock@epconline.net>
To:        <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: /etc/passwd upgrade

We've upgraded from 2.2.8 to 3.2 and will be soon 4.2 by just copying the
passwd files over.

There is a mix of 3DES and MD5 passwords in the passwd file as 2.2.8 was
configured with 3DES and the 3.2 is configrued with MD5. All new users get
MD5 by default, but the users with 3DES password still work, and won't get
MD5 unless they change their password.

We've had no problems whatsoever with this, but all the home directories and
so forth have to match the passwd file.

Is the 128bit ecryption mentioned the MD5 passwords, or is this a security
feature we havent used on our system that would make this copying of passwd
files not work?

Chuck
EPC