Date:      Sat, 04 Aug 2012 13:51:52 -0600
From:      Ian Lepore <freebsd@damnhippie.dyndns.org>
To:        Tim Kientzle <kientzle@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: How to Expose Chip-level Ethernet Statistics?

On Sat, 2012-08-04 at 12:21 -0700, Tim Kientzle wrote:
> I believe that some of the issues I'm having with this
> Ethernet driver might be easier to diagnose if I could
> expose the chip-level statistics counters (especially queue
> overrun counts).
>
> Is there a standard way to do this?
>
> I've looked at systat, netstat, and ifconfig but haven't
> yet found a standard tool that queries this sort of
> information.  (If I could find that, I could figure out
> which ioctl it used…)
>
> Pointers appreciated…  In particular, if there's another
> Ethernet driver that does this well, I can use that for a
> reference.
>
> Tim

I don't know if this is exactly what you mean, but have a look at
src/tools/tools/ifinfo, and find some examples of drivers that fill in
that info by grepping for ifmib_iso_8802_3.

(I really know nothing about this stuff, except that your request
triggered a memory that the atmel if_ate driver gathers some stats that
I've not seen in most other drivers.)

-- Ian