Date:      Mon, 28 Dec 1998 14:52:10 -0500 (EST)
From:      George Uhl <uhl@mamba-e.gsfc.nasa.gov>
To:        atm@FreeBSD.ORG, phk@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ATM in FreeBSD, status requested!

I consider any loss of support to the Cranor driver to be
a major blow.  I use Kenjiro Cho's ALTQ modified Cranor
driver for IP QoS test and analysis.  I also use a different
modified Cranor driver for my participation in the CAIRN
(www.cairn.net) community.

Although both modified drivers have taken digressed from
the original Cranor driver I've always hoped that somehow
both modified drivers could be merged into a new ATM driver
that has very robust IP QoS support.  Furthermore, the new
driver could be continued as a part of the FreeBSD tree.

I don't know how ISI (CAIRN) or Sony (ALTQ) will react to
FreeBSD dropping support to the Cranor driver.  Maybe they
don't care and I'm merely overreacting.  I don't know if
there are plans to migrate the QoS functionality to the
HARP driver (this might depend on what FreeBSD does).  Yet
I feel that the loss of FreeBSD's support for the Cranor
driver may kill any hopes of merging the existing IP QoS
functionality into an ATM driver.

George Uhl
ESDIS Network Prototyping Lab
NASA GSFC