Date:      Thu, 17 Apr 1997 22:29:13 -0500
From:      "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <sysop@mixcom.com>
To:        Michael Dillon <michael@memra.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Binaries in Usenet (was: News...)

At 05:32 PM 4/17/97 -0700, Michael Dillon wrote:
>On Thu, 17 Apr 1997, Sysadmin wrote:
>
>> Has _anyone_ in this thread read about the Prodigy decision?
>
>Prodigy was editting the content of messages.

They weren't taking "fuck!" and replacing it with "!#@$" were they?  This
would be crazy, but I thougth they would delete the message, not edit it.

I wonder if Livingston's Choice Net would make us, and possibly Livington,
liable under such laws if a site were not in the filter.

Some care to send me a copy or post an URL?  I'll toss the idea over there.

>> Of course if you delete on the basia of size or UUEncoded content this
>> might not be true.  If done universally.
>
>That's right. I'm suggesting that we merely weed out the junk that should
>not be in the USENET DISCUSSION GROUPS regardless of content. In other
>words, if it is an encoded file, delete it regardless of whether it is
>a UUencoded tar archive of program source code or a Base64 encode JPEG
>of an F-16 fighter.

Can this be done?  Mind you I never wasted more time than I had to fixing
news when it blew up.  Since our news box died horribly and has to be 100%
rebuilt I would do this from the start.

Another problem is that readers can post to more than one group, which
should be retroactively stripped out of all news readers.  Ok, I'll wake
up.  ;-)

Jeff Mountin - System/Network Administrator
jeff@mixcom.net

MIX Communications
Serving the Internet since 1990