Date:      Wed, 6 Nov 2002 23:56:39 -0500
From:      "Chauncey Smith" <csmith@icdc.com>
To:        "Shane Hickey" <shane@howsyournetwork.com>, <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ports seen with pkg_info?

Well packages are built from the ports. The difference between a package and
a port is a package is a binary of the piece of software and a port is the
source code that gets compiled with the tweaks needed to make it work.
pkg_info is a list of all the stuff installed in the os.. like a windows
reg.

Chauncey