Date:      Thu, 10 Apr 1997 08:45:17 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        Martin Cracauer <cracauer@wavehh.hanse.de>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, jkh@time.cdrom.com, ports@freebsd.org, www@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What http://www.freebsd.org/ports *should* look like. :-)

On Thu, 10 Apr 1997, Martin Cracauer wrote:

> > In message <199704060046.QAA02661@time.cdrom.com> "Jordan K. Hubbard" writes:
> > : http://hpux.cs.utah.edu/
> > : John Fieber pointed me at this today and I'm quite impressed.  If
> > : we needed a model to aspire to, we need look no further than this
> > : one. :-)
>
> I mailed the folks that did that stuff. Maybe we can share their
> software. After all, we are not really competitiors.

There are really two levels to shoot at here.  One, and the
easier of the two, is sprucing up the organization of the ports
and the web interface.  What we have now is fairly minimalist,
and is bad solution for people working off mirrors.  A better
solution, however really depends on the mirror sites running CGI
scripts and a large number do not or will not. :(

The other is the actual packaging system the ports use, which is
the same form the HPUX operating system and its options is
distributed in.  I'm not very familiar with HPUX so I can't say
too much about it, but it looks good.  Also, relative to the
recent debate over /usr/local, the HPUX ports collection install
(mostly) in /opt/hppd.

-john