Date:      Fri, 08 Aug 2003 12:41:44 -0700
From:      "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@freebsd.org>
To:        Warner Joseph <Joseph.Warner@siemens.com>
Cc:        "'fcash@sd73.bc.ca'" <fcash@sd73.bc.ca>
Subject:   Re: 2 Questions

--==_Exmh_492554272P

If memory serves me right, Warner Joseph wrote:

> >There's a 4.9 scheduled for release later this year / early next year.
> >4-STABLE will be around until 5.x is deemed ready for everyday,
> >production use and a 5-STABLE branch is created.  This is tentatively
> >scheduled for 5.2, but may be pushed back to 5.3 is need be.  Thus,
> >there might be a 4.10 and possibly even a 4.11.
>
> Really?  Wow!  For some reason I wasn't thinking it would continue
> on that far.

Without committing the release engineering team to anything:  One idea
is that after 4.9, we might do some maintenence releases, primarily to
merge in bugfixes.  These would be more along the lines of "4.9.1",
"4.9.2", et al.  If we do lightweight 4.9.X releases after 4.9, we can
concentrate more on building more robust 5.X releases so we can do a
5-STABLE branch.

As an aside, doing interleaved releases from the 5.X and 4.X branches
is really hard on the RE and portmgr teams.  We can cut four releases
total in a year, but that's pushing it (three used to be normal).  I
know that CDROM vendors and many of our fellow users would like us to
release more often, but there's just a limit to what we can do while
avoiding concurrent releases, major holidays, etc.

Bottom line is that there aren't any firm plans at this point, although
I assure you it's something we're thinking about.

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_492554272P

--==_Exmh_492554272P--