Date:      Fri, 10 Mar 2000 18:13:14 +0000 (Local time zone must be set--see zic manual page)
From:      <kythorn@dark-tower.ab.ca>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problems with Linksys NIC  and the new dc driver.

I am currently experiencing problems with the 0307 -CURRENT snapshot, and
the dc driver.  I previously have had no problems with the pn driver I had
been using in 3.4-STABLE.  I installed current on this machine because as
of now, the wd driver in stable doesn't like my larger IDE drive very
much.  So I got the drive working, but I simply cannot get the network
card to cooperate with this new driver.

It's detected, dmesg lines as follows:

dc0: <82c168 PNIC 10/100BaseTX> port 0xd00-0xdeff mem

dc0: starting DAD for fe80:0001::02a0:ccff:fe21:9357
dc0: DAD complete for fe80:0001::02a0ccff:fe21:9357 - no duplicates found

I've toyed with various mediatype settings, hasn't seen to make a
difference.

ifconfig dc0 media auto results in the error
ifconfig: SIOSIFMEDIA: Device not configured
Standard ifconfig -a output shows

media: 10baseT/UTP status: no carrier, though the lights are on on my hub.

If I configure it to 100baseTX, and bring the interface back up again, it
shows the status as active, but the lights immediately die.

Trying to toy with the duplex settings in 10baseT/UTP mode also give me
the SIOSIFMEDIA error.

Does anyone have any insight into this? As I said, this card has always
served me well with the pn driver, but then I am unable to gain access to
my drive with the wd driver.  I'm really hoping there's some way I will be
able to configure the NIC properly under 4.0.

- Jay Oliver

Please at least cc all replies to this email address, as until I resolve
this problem with the NIC, my mail servers offline, and I can't read the
lists.  I don't think the owner of this shell would appreciate me
subscribing it to relatively high traffic lists.

Thank you.