Date:      Tue, 20 Jun 2000 13:36:33 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        mjacob@feral.com, Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SMP discussion moving to freebsd-smp

In message <55142.961529404@critter.freebsd.dk> Poul-Henning Kamp writes:
: I don't agree with your rather rabid "current must always work"
: attitude, having been one of the primary people through the
: 1.0 to 2.0 transition I know how many developers that cost us.

-current needs to always be buildable.  It should always be bootable,
but the periods of time that it isn't should be measured in weeks, not
months.  I'm not insisting that it be rock solid all the time, so if
that's what people are reading, I'm doing a poor job at comunicating.
I'm objecting to a vague "it will be painful for months, cope" plan,
for which I must assume that it will be so bad for months that I won't
be able to get any work with it done.  If it is stable enough for
developers after a few days/weeks and I can get work done without
unrelated bugs crashing me all the time, that's cool.  If it crashes,
on the average, after an hour or two, or under heavy load, that's also
OK, so long as it is fixed by a release (which is the plan, as I read
it).

If it is so unstable that it won't even boot and run for 5 minutes for
the next several months, I don't think that's acceptible.  I think
that code going into the tree has to have at least some minor level of
stability for most users.  I think we disagree on what that level of
stability is.  The whole 1.0 -> 2.0 transition is a blur to me now...

I think that much of my objections will be answered if I can get a
clearer picture of the level of pain, what the likely problems would
be and just what the plan is.  If these things were clearer, I would
be much more confortable.  I think that's the real issue I have with
all of this.

Warner