Date:      Wed, 11 Sep 1996 21:41:35 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brian Campbell <brianc@ottawa.net>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD Hackers)
Subject:   Re: IDE and ASUS P/I-P6NP5

> > The Pentium Pro ASUS P/I-P6NP5 board claims to support
> > onboard IDE (bus master) at 17 MB/s in PIO mode and 22MB/s in
> > DMA mode.
> >
> > How useful is this under FreeBSD-current? Does the IDE driver support
> > this? Are there any IDE disk drives allowing for transfer rates
> > in the range of those achieved by SCSI drives? Would that rule out
> > SCSI as the choice when you want to have really fast disk access?

In my experience it makes a noticeable difference.  If there's
support for it available you should take advantage of it.

> DMA mode isn't supported AFAIK.
>
> I think the problem is still that it is impossible to reliably detect
> support for the mode without crashing older (WD1007, etc.?) hardware.

And Terry clearly has a problem with IDE in general.

Nonetheless I'd really love to have a bus-mastering IDE driver
available.  I could care less if it automatically detects older
hardware, although other operating systems manage to do this.

I'd be happy to manually specify that my IDE chipset and drive were
"DMA capable" for the dual benefit of freeing up the CPU for more
useful tasks and increased throughput.

Now if we can just find someone capable of doing the work  ;-)