Date:      Fri, 19 Jun 1998 09:05:19 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Russell L. Carter" <rcarter@pinyon.org>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, mi@aldan.algebra.com
Subject:   Re: c++: virtual memory exhausted

|Russell L. Carter once stated:

|=Is the amount of virtual memory configurable?

|This is not directly related to c++ . Look at the man-pages for swapon,
|vnconfig.

|=I'm getting this error:
|=
|=c++ -pipe -Wall -D_THREADSAFE -g  -D__ACE_INLINE__  -I.
|=-I/u2/local/pkg/ACE/ACE_wrappers -I/u2/local/pkg/ACE/ACE_wrappers/netsvcs/lib
|=-c -o .obj/main.o main.cpp
|=In file included from main.cpp:9:
|=/u2/local/pkg/ACE/ACE_wrappers/ace/Strategies_T.h:842: virtual memory exhausted
|=
|=fresh -current (though probably not dependent on -current)

|To reduce the memory consumption of GNU compilers (at the expence of their
|execution time) -- remove the ``-pipe'' option.
|
|	-mi
|
|P.S. Not to offend, are you sure ``-current'' is for you?

Hmm, I suppose I should have wrapped swapinfo's around the
compile, where it would be obvious that no swapping to 192MB
of dedicated swap was happening, on a 96MB machine.  Of course,
if I had configured vn as you suggest, then I would have
nearly certainly wedged the system, *had* I swapped anything
out to the vn device.  The vn device is not stable
with current right now.  Coincidentally, I spent most
of May experimenting with vn...

I don't want to offend either, but are you sure -current
is for you?

However, the -pipe idea is a good one, I'll try that when
I get back to that system.

BTW, I can coax a somewhat similar situation out of netscape-4.05
native FreeBSD when using the news reader and surfing.
If I try to open a new window it claims it is out of memory
and that I should try closing others, but do so has no
effect.  Again, no swapping is occurring.

Thanks,
Russell