Date:      Tue, 29 Jul 1997 10:24:38 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Wolfgang Helbig <helbig@MX.BA-Stuttgart.De>
To:        graichen@rzpd.de (Thomas Graichen)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD & ISDN & dynamic ip's

> hello - i'm currently trying to set up a couple of FreeBSD machines
> for a friend and have one (maybe little) problem - one of them should
> be connected via ISDN to a provider using dynamic ip numbers - we have
> tested the ISDN card (german teles/s0) on another machine with a
> static ip provider - and this worked fine - but how do i set ISDN up
> to work with dynamic ip numbers ?
>
> here's the state so far:
>
> * kernel works fine so far using bisdn 0.97 (finds ISDN card and can
>   communicate with it - tested via static ip provider on a nother
>   machine)
>
> * to make dynamic ip's working it looks like the isdnpppd is the only
>   way - so i patched & compiled all the stuff from the
>   BISDN-ppp-FreeBSD2.2.tgz package (btw. we are using FreeBSD 2.2.2)
>   and tried some simple experiemnts to get it working - but due to the
>   lack of documentation i did'nt get very far

You can use the manual page for pppd. Just disregard all the terminal
and modem related stuff - the rest applies to isdnpppd as well.
You should enable pppd tracing to see whats going on.

> best would be is someone who has set up his FreeBSD machine to use
> dynamic ip's to his provider can give me some hints on how to
> configure all the stuff and how it works - i'm at the moment a bit
> unclear of how all this works together (the ipi and the ppp interfaces
> - bisdnd and isdnpppd)

Ok. I'll forward you an email message in which I tried to explain
my configuration.

To enable *dynamic* IP addresses, I had to patch the isdnpppd
(sys_bisdn.c) to reenable some "#if 0" - "#endif" enclosed code.
And I had to patch the ipp driver. You'll  find the patched ipp
driver in bisdntest-2.

> if you need any further information please ask
>
> thanks in advance for any hint

> --
>   thomas graichen - graichen@rzpd.de graichen@OpenBSD.org graichen@FreeBSD.org
>
>   perfection is reached, not when there is no longer anything to add, but when
>       there is no longer anything to take away    antoine de saint-exupery

I like your signature!

Wolfgang