Date:      Sun, 1 Nov 1998 11:22:18 +0200 (SAT)
From:      John Hay <jhay@mikom.csir.co.za>
To:        wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu (Garrett Wollman)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IPv6 in -current

> >> * Complete single-copy TCP/IP implementation
>
> > And even better if we could list both. :-) I think the needs of the
> > FreeBSD group is diverse enough that this isn't unreasonable.
>
> The needs are one thing; the capabilities quite another.

Well I'm not sure what you mean with this, but if it is lack of manpower
to do it, Itojun from the Kame team did say that he would do the
integration into FreeBSD and maintain it (and he already is a committer)
and someone said that the INRIA guys was also prepared to do it. So it
shouldn't take up your or any of the other's (that aren't interested in
IPv6 yet) time, except maybe in the beginning to help decide which stack to
use and maybe where in the tree to put things or things like that.

It's not a question of "if we are going to support IPv6", but "when are
we going to support IPv6"... except if we are going to obsolete ourselves.
And at the pace some of our things take, I think the sooner we do it, the
better, because then we do get more time to integrate everything, like
adding support for IPv6 to the rest of our code like ipfw and ipfilter.

But I give up for now and will try again in a few months time, although
I expect that we will see a IPv6 stack committed in the middle of one of
out BETA cycles in the future. :-)

John
--
John Hay -- John.Hay@mikom.csir.co.za