Date:      Wed, 12 May 1999 00:55:29 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Cliff Skolnick <cliff@steam.com>
Cc:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, luoqi@FreeBSD.ORG, Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Subject:   Re: vm_fault deadlock and PR 8416 ... NOT fixed!

>Well a few minutes ago my system went into deadlock - and this is with the
>kern_lock.c dated 5/11.  This patch is different than the one in 8416 that
>solved my problem before.  I'd say this the problem is still there.

   Time is very short for getting this fixed before the release deadline. I
think Luoqi's patch that was in the PR was suseptible to a priority inversion
problem and has risks associated with using it. The fix that Matt Dillion
made for -current that I back-ported to -stable was an attempt to fix the
problem while minimizing the side effects. If it doesn't fix the problem
then we'll proceed with plan B which is probably to just go with Luoqi's
fix or to possibly troubleshoot Matt's fix (but as I said, time is short).

>Once again my server is useless, deadlocked.  No panic, responding to pings,
>no ability to do disk I/O or any VM related stuff.
>
>An unhappy freebsd user once again,

   Is this really necessary? It sure doesn't help the debugging process.

-DG

David Greenman
Co-founder/Principal Architect, The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org
Creator of high-performance Internet servers - http://www.terasolutions.com