Date:      Tue, 10 Mar 1998 08:19:26 -0500
From:      Brian Cully <shmit@erols.com>
To:        tcobb@staff.circle.net
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: UNION FS appropriate?

On %M %N, tcobb@staff.circle.net wrote:

> What is the current known state of UNION FS?
>
> Here's my situation:
>
> I have a set of directories which contain a user's files (mostly web
> stuff).  FTP chroots nicely into this space, and I have other public
> services which do so, too.  All of these files are served from a primary
> NFS server.  What I'd like to do is mount these directories on a new
> box, and then allow a chrooted telnet.  The telnet side I can handle
> just fine, but I need to 'overlay' onto these directories such stock
> binaries as chmod,ping,vi, etc.  This will allow me to let folks telnet
> in, and have a usable experience, but not require separate copies of
> these binaries in each chroot-space.  Is this possible with UNION?  Is
> UNION stable enough to handle being dynamically mapped on login?

The state of the union, is, IIRC, Not So Good. You should probably look
elswheres for a solution.

You might want to use portal instead of union, for that matter. I've
set up sendmail inside of a chrooted environment using portal for read
only access to /etc (which lies on a different partition, so hard links
to appropriate files are impossible).

--
Brian Cully						<shmit@erols.com>
``And when one of our comrades was taken prisoner, blindfolded, hung