Date:      Wed, 4 Sep 1996 20:56:12 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        rkw@dataplex.net, nate@mt.sri.com, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Latest Current build failure

> I've tried very hard to explain to Richard that things just can't work
> the way he wants them to

You have explained this several ways.  What you haven't explained is
what, in the nature of the universe, causes this to be try.

You explain *what*, but you do not explain *why*.

I think David's posting came closest to the mark; he explained that
there is inertia which favors the status quo (what), and then he
explained what he saw as the reasons for the intertia (why).

It's now up to Richard to explain how his plan addresses the reasons
for the inertia.

The inertia itself is a reactive force that operates on stimuli and
on underlying assumptions.  If the underlying assumptions can be
disarmed, then there is no reason for the stimuli to elicit the
same reaction as it would if they were in force.

> Man, after picking my jaw up off the floor, you can bet your ass I'd
> look at it.  If it was really good stuff, you'd probably see me
> jumping up in down in -hackers about an hour later screaming "Joe
> Hacker for president!  Joe Hacker for God!"
>
> Guess we'll just have to wait until Joe Hacker shows up! :-)

Joe Hacker will be more likely to present his credentials if you will
define what "good stuff" is, other than a value judgement at the time
you are presented with a fait accompli.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---