Date:      Sat, 22 Dec 2001 10:39:19 +0000
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        Mario Sergio Fujikawa Ferreira <lioux@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Murray Stokely <murray@FreeBSD.ORG>, nik@FreeBSD.org, asmodai@FreeBSD.org, doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Glossary sgml handling? <glossary></glossary>?

--yC91f7qSViS67v3c

Mario,

I thought this sort of thing might come up.  I'm copying the -doc list
on this, so that other translators can make suggestions as well.

On Sat, Dec 22, 2001 at 01:20:31AM -0200, Mario Sergio Fujikawa Ferreira wr=
ote:
<snip>
> 	As you can see, my intention is to have the standard english
> to portuguese glossary for translation purposes and a portuguese
> to english glossary for reading clarification ones.
>=20
> 	I know I do those with entities and stuff but since I am
> not great with SGML, I was hoping there would some automated
> facilities to handle that. Besides, I want to explain the ideas and
> gather opinions so that I am not shot down when proposing the partial
> document for addition in the doc repo. After, the translation
> documents should be as much as verbatim as possible to the original
> english document .... I shouldn't be changing it, adding tags here
> and there but I think this is useful adding a significant amount
> of information.

We're going to very quickly run in to the limits of my ability with
languages other than English :-)

What I suggest you do is take a look at the KDE and Gnome projects.
Both of those face this problem because they need to translate their
user documentation, which is also written in DocBook.

I know that the KDE people have written an application, kbabel, which is
supposed to make it easier to translate documentation, and to reuse
common phrases (like "read-only") that have already been translated.

kbabel is part of the devel/kdesdk port.  I assume (but don't know for
sure) that there's an equivalent for Gnome.

Either way, the translation teams for those projects can probably
provide you with better hints and tips than I can.

--=20
FreeBSD: The Power to Serve             http://www.freebsd.org/
FreeBSD Documentation Project           http://www.freebsd.org/docproj/

          --- 15B8 3FFC DDB4 34B0 AA5F  94B7 93A8 0764 2C37 E375 ---

--yC91f7qSViS67v3c

--yC91f7qSViS67v3c--