Date:      Mon, 11 Nov 2002 01:30:21 +0100
From:      Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely8.cicely.de>
To:        Jarkko Santala <jake@iki.fi>
Cc:        Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.xs4all.nl>, Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 164lx power issues

On Sun, Nov 10, 2002 at 09:12:07PM +0200, Jarkko Santala wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Nov 2002, Wilko Bulte wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Nov 10, 2002 at 11:26:11AM -0500, Andrew Gallatin wrote:
> > > Recently we had a long power outage and we discovered that the machine
> > > does not automatically power on when A/C power is restored.  Rather, a
> > > human must press the power button to switch the machine on.
> > >
> > > Is there a common misconfiguration which would result in this
> > > behaviour?   If so, how do we ensure the machine powers itself back
> > > on without manual intervention when A/C power is restored?
> >
> > Doesn't the LX use an ATX power supply that needs some minor
> > tweaking for it to work?
>
> Yes, you have to connect the green wire to one of the black ones in the
> ATX power connector to automagically "turn on" an ATX PSU when power cord
> is inserted or a proper power switch on the PSU is turned on.
>
> So to me it sounds like that the power switch on the case has been
> connected so that when pressed it connects the green to one of the blacks,
> causing the PSU to power up.

The power supply only works as long as these lines are shortened.
Normaly ATX boards have a power logic driven by a power button
(button - no switch!) to toggle grounding the powersupply enable line.
Some boards remember the state when powerloss or the have a auto-on
function which can be enabled by jumper or bios config.
The implementation of the powerlogic often not only controls the power
supply, but also some onboard logic so that shorten the power supply
doesn't work - enabling the power supply doesn't mean the CPU will run.
However accourding to the PC164LX Technical Reference Manual, which is
available as pdf, the initialisation logic don't do this.
It only uses the power good signal from the supply.
I believe shortening the enable line should work with this board.

> If this is the case, the solution is to open the box and do some
> soldering. Either solder the power switch on the front panel to be always
> on or do the soldering on the ATX power connector, as it has been done in
> my PC164.

The PC164 is different in that there is no power logic on board.
You always have to ground the power supply enable line to get it on.

PS: no need to solder - a crocodile cable will also do.

ticso@cicely.de         Usergroup           info@cosmo-project.de