Date:      Tue, 3 Sep 1996 10:28:55 -0400
From:      dennis@etinc.com (Dennis)
To:        isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pppd lcp-echo?

>I've been looking at the pppd man page and I noticed the lcp-echo-request
>and lcp-echo-failure options. These options sound like they would be good
>to use because they would detect a lost connection when the modem would
>not. For instance, if there's a problem with the modem control lines not
>reporting a lost carrier, or if the stack software on the other end has
>died but carrier has not been dropped.

They are more destructive than possitive, plus they are the crux of many
problems with quite a few implementations. The bottom line is that if
your down your down, and having keep-alives (which are all that echos
really are) doesnt improve the uptime on your line nor does it do much
in terms of informing you about down conditions. The only thing that they
really do is add another failure point, and like I said, interfere
with normal PPP operation by using bandwidth and potentially
disrupting often fragile state machine implementations.

Dennis

>I tried using lcp-echo-request and lcp-echo-failure on the server I'm
>setting up but those options did not work well at all. Either the iijppp
>on my end wasn't sending out the responses, or the pppd on the server was
>ignoring them... The connection died after pppd sent out as many echo
>requests as specified in the lcp-echo-failure option. Also, pppd did not
>drop DTR as I expected, but instead just refused to forward packets.
>
>The server machine is running FreeBSD 2.1.0-RELEASE with the pppd and
>sys/netinet/in_rmx.c taken from a fairly recent version of -stable. The
>client is my 2.1.0-RELEASE machine at home with iijppp.
>
>Is this option broken, or do I have the wrong idea of its purpose?
>
>Also, will all of the popular stack programs send out echo responses?

>| Steve Reid - SysAdmin & Pres, EDM Web (http://www.edmweb.com/)    |
>| Email: steve@edmweb.com   Home Page: http://www.edmweb.com/steve/ |
>| PGP (2048/9F317269) Fingerprint: 11C89D1CD67287E68C09EC52443F8830 |
>|          -- Disclaimer: JMHO, YMMV, TANSTAAFL, IANAL. --          |

Emerging Technologies, Inc.      http://www.etinc.com

Synchronous Communications Cards and Routers For
Discriminating Tastes. 56k to T1 and beyond. Frame
Relay, PPP, HDLC, and X.25 for BSD/OS, FreeBSD
and LINUX