Date:      Tue, 18 Feb 1997 09:03:50 -0500 (EST)
From:      Ron Bickers <rbickers@intercenter.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Apache Virtual Servers (single IP)

On Mon, 17 Feb 1997, Michael Dillon wrote:

> > Are many ISPs doing this?
>
> No. Only a few clueless ones.

Just like the clueless ISPs that went to dynamic IP addresses for dialup
customers?  There were a lot of complaints about that, but it's pretty
much the norm now.

> Besides, IP addresses are not scarce. You have to justify your usage of
> them and cannot waste them but the 3 NIC's all accept virtual webservers
> as a legitimate use of IP space.

Tell the Internic they aren't scarce and see what they say.  I will be
surprised if the Internic doesn't soon consider that you don't need to
waste addresses to serve multiple domains.

The Internet is moving forward, so should it's users.  It won't be long
before the vast majority of clients and servers use a single IP for
virtual domains. It also doesn't take much to support both.  Besides, if
you're still using an old browser, you're going to be missing a lot more
than just a Host: header.

Ron