Date:      Fri, 3 Sep 1999 11:56:00 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Colin Eric Johnson <colinj@cs.unm.edu>
To:        obrien@NUXI.com
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: suggestion: distfiles CD

On Fri, 3 Sep 1999, David O'Brien wrote:

> > I believe the original gentleman's suggestion for this burning of a "changed
> > distfiles CD" was geared towards 1 person within an active FreeBSD user's
> > group
>
> Then why can't someone within the users's group
>
>     cd /usr/ports && make fetch
>
> and burn a CDROM??  Not everything related to FreeBSD needs to come
> straight from Walnut Creek.  Many people have better net access than WC's
> office.  Making and offering said CDROM sounds like an exclent user's
> group activity, esp., since a UG's charter is to foster help w/in the
> group.
>
> BTW, it now takes 3 full CDROM's to hold all the distfiles.

That sounds like a great idea. I did not know that I could do a ``make
fetch''. I'm assuming that this just downloads all of the necessary files
into /usr/ports/distfiles but doesn't actually do the build.

Colin E. Johnson | colinj@unm.edu | http://www.unm.edu/~colinj/
"As Jun [Murai] explains it, `I can go to the bar and drink beer. I go
to a phone and ping my routers, and if they are still working, I go
back and drink more beer.'" Carl Malamud _Exploring_the_Internet_