Date:      Thu, 11 Jul 2019 14:16:17 +0200
From:      peter.blok@bsd4all.org
To:        Kevin <labadore@protonmail.ch>, freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD MDS Mitigation

I=E2=80=99m sorry but if you really care about security you have to read =
the advisory and stop assuming things.

For every complaint why this is disabled by default, there will 10 =
complaints why it was enabled by default and broke things.

Having said this, I could see the benefit of reporting the fact that a =
certain security measure is disabled in the daily security reports, =
hoping someone reads it together with the executables that suddenly have =
been setuid for root.

Peter

<freebsd-security@freebsd.org> wrote:
>=20
> Hello list. I am reading this page about FreeBSD security [ =
https://vez.mrsk.me/freebsd-defaults.html ] and it says the Intel MDS =
mitigation is off by default. So I tried.
>=20
> % sysctl hw.mds_disable_state
> hw.mds_disable_state: inactive
>=20
> Now I see the instructions in the advisory, but what about anyone who =
didn't? Or who did a new install and didn't read past advisories?
>=20
> I have an Intel CPU that is vulnerable. By applying the update and =
installing the microcode package, I thought I was safe.