Date:      Mon, 11 Sep 2000 10:47:42 -0700
From:      "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
Cc:        Emmanuel Gravel <egravel@earthlink.net>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Strange TTL Exceeded messages

--==_Exmh_73906284P

If memory serves me right, Ian Smith wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Sep 2000, Emmanuel Gravel wrote:

>  > I know that icmp ttl exceeded messages are common with a traceroute,
>  > however why would I get so many from the same host (in a normal situation,
>  > considering I would have actually done a traceroute, which isn't the case)
> ?
>
> Can't imagine.

Hi--

I'm coming in to the middle of this thread (which I think probably
belongs on -security anyways), but:

1)  traceroute(1) can be told how many probe packets to send per hop.

2)  There exist other programs that look like traceroute, but send many
more packets per hop.  In particular, the family of programs that
includes pchar, pathchar, and clink, which are all experimental tools
for network path characterization.

I haven't a clue as to whether any of this information applies to the
situation being discussed though.

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_73906284P

--==_Exmh_73906284P--