Date:      Wed, 21 Oct 1998 20:24:05 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Janos Mohacsi <mohacsi@fsz.bme.hu>
To:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   login/shell/ftp/e-mail policy

Dear Sirs,
	What is the policy to use in the FreeBSD in the logins? Which
shells should I use for different sets of users?

I have following scheme:
                                      login       ftp     email(pop,imap)
ordinary shells (sh,csh,bash,tcsh):     +          +        +
nologin (I have put to /etc/shells):    -          +        +
/bin/false                              -          -        +
nonexistent                             -          -        -

Is it good, or do you have other scheme? To able to get this scheme work
(for a less trained person) I had to change the adduser script.

(of course I can deny some users ftp access by /etc/ftpusers, and
pop access by /etc/noauthfile).

Any comments are welcome,
		Janos Mohacsi