Date:      Sun, 7 Apr 1996 12:39:52 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        louie@TransSys.COM (Louis A. Mamakos)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, roell@blah.a.isar.de, terry@lambert.org, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, jkh@time.cdrom.com, roell@xinside.com
Subject:   Re: The F_SETOWN problem..

> While not an X server application, you'll note that xntpd uses SIGIO
> so that it might read and, most importanty, timestamp traffic arriving
> on the network.  This is critical to making NTP accurately synchronize
> the clock.  By using SIGIO, you can not have to worry nearly so much
> about long-running sections of code and not being able to check for
> pending input for a "long" time.  The model of signal as 'interrupt'
> works extremely well for this sort of appliation.  Of course, this all
> works Just Fine with sockets..

Signals are not events.  What is wrong with select() that makes it
unsuitable for your use?

It's not like when the vent occurs you will interrupt or setal process
quantum if you are not the running process.   You will only set the
flag saying you are ready to run as a result of a wakeup on the
process sleep address, and *still* wait for then quantum on the
currently running process to expire.  Then you have to compete with
all other processes on the system which *also* has their resources come
free.

So it's not like you get increased response time or anything.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.