Date:      Sat, 14 Dec 2002 13:01:38 -0500
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        "freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Cyrix CPUs, was: Re: Repeatable crash from nautilus2

Rhett Monteg Hollander wrote:
> All right, gentlemen, let's finish with it.  [ ... ]
 > like to trash, anyway.
 > To Charles Swiger:

It wasn't my intent to unduly criticise Cyrix processors, Rhett.  It sounds
like you know enough about the Cyrix CPUs that you might be able to contribute
something towards FreeBSD's documentation.

At least, if you were willing to accurately identify problems, instead of
taking the approach that any problems that might have occured were fixed in
such-and-such version of the harware, and thus nobody should be gauche enough
to mention the fact that some Cyrix CPU's had real issues.  This probably
isn't the place for hardware advocacy, which was why I was trying to direct
people towards things like what FreeBSD's LINT says.

>> PS: I think the guys at NeXT decided that the x86
>> platform had enough issues without trying to work
>> around broken hardware; in hindsight, that may have
>> been a wrong decision, but I'm still using a 33MHz
>> 68040 NeXTstation as a primary machine.
>
> Nope.

Is that "Nope", I'm not using a NeXTstation?  Or "Nope", I'm wrong that NeXT
decided not to even attempt to support the Cyrix processor line?

 > In September of 1985 Steven Jobs came out Apple
> and founded NextStep (numerous problems inside Apple
> led to this point). Four years later a first NeXT was
> introduced. All NeXTs were built with Motorola CPUs,
> like Apple Macintoshes. I don't think that Intel CPUs
> in 1989 were buggy (for your reference, AMD, Cyrix &
> Co. started producing proprietarly designed CPUs only
> since 1991-92);

Teach grandma to suck eggs.  I used to sell software and provide technical
support to NS users since CMU got their first 4 MB cubes.  I was at IT
Solutions, which consulted for Swiss Bank Corp; SBC had 4000 NeXT's, which was
the largest non-government deployment site.  ITS was also a reseller of the
NeXT-designed Canon object.station 41's, which were most notable for a failure
mode where the power supply would short 120VAC through the PS/2 mouse port.

[ Briefly-- the mouse didn't last long (nor did the MB or PS), but enough to
absolutely catch the user's attention.  It didn't happen very often.  Nor have
I never seen a PS actually catch on fire.  But it's for certain that
electronic devices stop working when you let the smoke out of 'em. ]

Software problems, or even hardware problems which do not present a clear and
  immediate danger to people in the vicinity of the hardware, aren't in the
same category.

-Chuck