Date:      Sun, 19 Nov 2000 02:10:29 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Mark Diekhans <markd@Kermodei.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PCMCIA modems locking up system under 4.1.1

In message <200011190851.AAA97559@kermodei.com> Mark Diekhans writes:
:    I am having problems with PCMICA modems locking up FreeBSD 4.1.1
: on a laptop.  This happens rather frequently, probably most often
: on card eject, although it happens other times as well.  The
: two modem cards that this occurs with are:
:
:   MEGAHERTZ CC/XJEM3336 (modem of multifunction)
:   U.S. Robotics XJ/CC1560J
:
: The XJ/CC1560J causes the lock up more frequently.  Other than locking up
: the system, the modems work. The XJ/CC1560J perfectly, the CC/XJEM3336
: has some issues with multi-second pauses (which I believe is unrelated).

OK.

: The system is a Sharp Actus 290 with a Ricoh RL5C475 PCI-CardBus Bridge.

Hey, I have that bridge in my laptop.

: pccard.conf has:
:    irq 15

Ah.  This might be the problem.

: ata0: at 0x1f0 irq 14 on atapci0
: uhci0: <Intel 82371AB/EB (PIIX4) USB controller> port 0xfca0-0xfcbf
:   irq 10 at device 7.2 on pci0

OK.  The PIIX4 has two IDE channels.  You must disable the secondary
ide channel.  Sadly, many modern laptops don't let you do this.

You may be sharing an interrupt, which can cause undefined behavior.
Undefined can mean hang :-(.

Warner

P.S.  Other laptop users have reported this problem and picked a
different irq and it worked.